Frequently asked questions:

How do I change the address my taxes are mailed to?

Call the Treasurer's Office and request the change or fill out the below form and email or mail it to us.  Print Fillable PDF form HERE

When will I receive my tax notice?

Taxes are normally billed around the first part of November.  No second half notice will be received. However, email reminder will be sent prior to the second half if you register with: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

When are Real Estate taxes due?

The first half of Real Estate Tax must be paid on or before December 20th with the second half  due by May 10th or the first workday following.

Real Estate Tax Sale

When any real estate tax remains unpaid for three or more years it qualifies to be sold at auction.

The County Commissioners are provided a list of qualifying properties. It is then their decision to proceed with a sale.

If the County  Commissioners choose to have a sale the County Attorney is contacted and provided a copy of the unpaid list. From this list the County Attorney researches all parties having connection with the parcel to be sold.

After research is complete the County Attorney notifies the owners and involved parties of the counties action through registered mail and publication in the Yates Center News against the property. Then after a brief waiting period, publication for the sale is made stating legal description and sale date. For information on progress of any tax sale contact the Woodson County Attorney

When is Personal Property tax due?

If the first half of Personal Property tax is not paid by December 20th, full amount plus interest then becomes due immediately following.
When personal property becomes delinquent, Sheriff's tax warrants are issued. If not paid by the 1st of October they are filed with the Clerk of the District Court at which time a court fee will be attached.  Reminder: Once the first half of personal property is past due it becomes due in full, there is no longer a half pay option.

What kind of payments will be accepted?

Payments of cash, check, or credit/debit card(2.5% convenience charge on card) are acceptable in person, or by parcel service. Taxes may be paid over the phone with a credit/debit card(2.5% card convenience fee) or online using credit card or e-check if there are no prior unpaid years. No personal checks will be accepted for tax sale properties.

Do you accept partial payments?

Yes, we can accept partial payments as long as the properties are not eligible for tax sale. Interest and fees must be caught up to date on first payment.

Where do I send my payment & who do I make it payable to?

Make your check or money order payable to:

Woodson County Treasurer
105 W Rutledge, Room 105
Yates Center, Ks 66783

Please include payment stubs from the tax statement or tax ID number, Owner of record or legal description of the property.


Payment under protest

If you dispute the tax amount you may wish to pay under protest. You will need to contact the Treasurers office for forms along with instructions to fill out to turn in at the time of payment.  After the forms are completed an informal hearing date will be set, in which you will meet with the County Appraiser.  If the results of this hearing do not satisfy you, then you have 30 days to file an appeal with the Small Claims Division or the Regular Division of the Court of Tax Appeals.

Print Fillable Protest Form  HERE and send with your tax payment.